Popular Twitter plugin inserts “Tweet This” links so your readers can share posts with one click. Can automatically tweet new posts via OAuth. Allows you to publish and schedule tweets from a new “Write Tweet” page. Supports 10 URL shorteners including Bit.ly, Su.pr, and TinyURL. Includes options for 20 social networks including Facebook, Bebo, and MySpace. Includes the Wickett Twitter Widget for your sidebar and many other options.
1.8.3: 2011-07-05: Small update to fix compatibility with WordPress 3.2.
Upgrading from 1.8.2 to 1.8.3
1. Upload the new /tweet-this/ folder over the old folder in your plugins folder.
2. Tweet This 1.8.3 is installed.
Tweeting a post on Twitter takes up a lot of space, because URLs quickly eat up your 140 characters. While your readers might copy the permalink, go to Bit.ly or TinyURL, shorten and copy the new URL, go to Twitter, and paste it into the status box, this plugin merges all that into one step.
This plugin makes short URLs like http:/example.com/?p=1234, then displays a link to Twitter for each post, with an optional icon (20 choices). This is done automatically for each post as needed. You can choose a URL shortener including Adjix.com, B2l.me, Bit.ly, Is.gd, Metamark.net, SnipURL.com, Su.pr, TinyURL.com, and Tweetburner.com. Each shortened URL is cached as a custom field in the postmeta table to keep load times fast. The cached records are updated or deleted as needed when you edit a post’s permalink, delete a post, change your site’s permalink structure, or change URL services. In WP 3.0 or later, Tweet This hooks the short URLs into the get_shortlink filter.
This plugin can also tweet new blog posts automatically, if you provide your Twitter credentials in the options. Then a “Send to Twitter” checkbox appears when writing a new post, along with a text box so you can change the tweet text for that specific blog post. As of 1.7, OAuth is used.
Copyright 2008 – 2011 Richard X. Thripp (email: firstname.lastname@example.org)
Released under Version 2 of the GNU General Public License as published by
the Free Software Foundation, or, at your option, any later version.
Before you begin, please make sure your server has PHP 5 and Curl enabled. While you can use Tweet This on PHP 4, all OAuth functions require PHP 5. Tweet This requires WordPress 1.5 minimum, with the following exceptions:
1. Importing exported options requires WP 2.0.
2. Automatic tweeting requires WP 2.7.
3. The Twitter Updates widget requires WP 2.8.
4. Adding short URLs to the get_shortlink filter requires WP 3.0.
5. Moving the Tweet This box around the Write Post page requires WP 3.0.
If you are installing Tweet This for the first time, follow these steps:
1. Upload the `tweet-this` folder to `/wp-content/plugins/`.
2. If you’re using WordPress MU and want this plugin active for all blogs, move `tweet-this.php` to `/wp-content/mu-plugins/` at this point.
3. Else, activate the plugin through the ‘Plugins’ menu in WordPress.
4. Tweet This icons should automatically appear on every post and page! Go to Settings > Tweet This to change settings and set up auto-tweets.
5. Optionally, delete readme.txt and the screenshots folder to save space.
Tweet This Donations
2011-02-22: $25.00 from Canopus Research Inc.
2011-02-17: $10.00 from Berend de Meyer.
2011-01-20: $5.00 from Nigel Boulton.
2010-10-27: $2.00 from JJ Soule.
2010-10-24: $10.00 from Linda C.
2010-10-20: $10.00 from Gareth Davies
2010-10-08: $1.00 from Tache Madalin
2010-10-01: $5.00 from Marcos Ramos
2010-09-20: $10.00 from Linda Worthington
2010-09-18: $1.00 from James Magary
2010-09-15: $10.00 from Miter Saw Reviews
2010-09-15: $5.00 from Kinoshita Communications LLC
1. Tweet This options page: all sections closed.
2. Tweet This options page: all sections opened.
3. The Write Tweet page, having just published a tweet.
4. A post with Tweet This links; Twitter Web API and Share API.
5. Publishing a tweet alongside a new post.
6. The Twitter Updates widget included with Tweet This.